The only difference between that used in industry & that used in cosmetics is that one is certified bacteria free. However the way the science reads I would prefer to be without it.
Propylene glycol is a humectant which means that is covers the skin not allowing it to breathe. The reason the skin feels soft & plump is that whilst the skins surface is covered & unable to breathe it draws water from your other body cells to the surface of the skin… smoke & mirrors!
It is also the major incipient in electronic cigarettes!
This label states “can cause slight flaking, tenderness & softening of the skin under repeated or prolonged exposure. Can cause minor eye irritation. Keep away from children.”
Pity it is so many mascaras, face & body creams & I even saw it in ear drops prescribed for a child’s earache.
Information taken from the MSDS [Material Safety Data Sheet] (EU) …see link* at bottom of page
“Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid inhalation of vapour or mist.
Skin protection: Handle with gloves. Gloves must be inspected prior to use. Use proper glove removal technique (without touching glove’s outer surface) to avoid skin contact with this product. Dispose of contaminated gloves after use in accordance with applicable laws and good laboratory practices. Wash and dry hands.
Body protection: impervious clothing, The type of protective equipment must be selected according to the concentration and amount of the dangerous substance at the specific workplace.
Gastrointestinal disturbance, Nausea, Headache, Vomiting, Central nervous system depression, To the best of our knowledge, the chemical, physical, and toxicological properties have not been thoroughly investigated.”
& from this MSDS [US]… see link** at bottom of page
Appearance: colourless viscous liquid.
Caution! May cause eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritation. Hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air).
Target Organs: Central nervous system.
Potential Health Effects
Eye: May cause slight transient injury.
Skin: May be absorbed through damaged or abraded skin in harmful amounts. Allergic reactions have been reported. A single prolonged skin exposure is not likely to result in the material being absorbed in harmful amounts. Prolonged contact is essentially non-irritating to skin. Repeated exposures may cause problems. Negative results have consistently been obtained in guinea pigs studies for sensitization. 1,2-Propylene glycol is not considered an occupational skin sensitizer.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Low hazard for usual industrial handling. May cause hemoglobinuric nephrosis. May cause changes in surface EEG.
Inhalation: Low hazard for usual industrial handling. Inhalation of a mist of this material may cause respiratory tract irritation. Material has a low vapor pressure at room temperature, so exposure to vapor is not likely.
Chronic: Exposure to large doses may cause central nervous system depression. Chronic ingestion may cause lactic acidosis and possible seizures. Exposures to propylene glycol having no adverse effects on the mother should have no effect on the fetus. Birth defects are unlikely. In animal studies, propylene glycol has been shown not to interfere with reproduction.”
I wonder how many products you use contain propylene glycol?
I would be very interested to hear what you think …