Triclosan

Would You Eat Your Makeup?
September 9, 2015
Palm oil / Palmitate
September 25, 2015
Show all

triclosanTriclosan… is found in many personal care products, household cleaners & cosmetics.   It was invented to be used as a surgical scrub for medical professionals, not for putting on your face or brushing your teeth.

“Studies have increasingly linked triclosan (and its chemical cousin triclocarban), to a range of adverse health and environmental effects from skin irritation, endocrine disruption, bacterial and compounded antibiotic resistance, to the contamination of water and its negative impact on fragile aquatic ecosystems.

When introduced to the market in 1972, triclosan was confined to hospital and health care settings. Since then triclosan exploded onto the market place in hundreds of consumer products ranging from antibacterial soaps, deodorants, toothpastes, cosmetics, fabrics, toys, and other household and personal care products. Triclosan’s success on the consumer market has been aided by the false public perception that antibacterial products are best to protect and safeguard against potential harmful bacteria.

However, an article in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, entitled “Consumer Antibacterial Soaps: Effective or Just Risky?” (2007), concludes that antibacterial soaps show no health benefits over plain soaps.

In 2010, FDA stated that, “Existing data raise valid concerns about the [health] effects of repetitive daily human exposure to [triclosan]” and announced plans to address the use of triclosan in cosmetics or other products.”

You can read the whole article here…

In this Material Safety Data Sheet it states

Irritating to eyes and skin.
Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in
the aquatic environment.
In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and
seek medical advice.
Wear eye/face protection.
If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or
label.
This material and its container must be disposed of as hazardous waste.
Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions/ Safety
data sheets

We have to live with some level of bacteria to build up immunity & natural resistance to disease.  The constant desire for bacteria free homes will be our downfall I think…

A safer way to disinfect anything is to have white vinegar in a spray bottle or diluted hydrogen peroxide [either is effective on their own, or one after the other but not mixed together]

My Grandma used to say “you’ve got to eat a peck of dirt afore you die”… what do you think?

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *