Sodium Lauryl Sulphate & Sodium Laureth Sulphate

14th July 2015
Show all



SLS is a highly effective surfactant and is used in any task requiring the removal of oily stains and residues.

It is found in higher concentrations in industrial products such as engine degreasers, floor cleaners, and car wash soaps & it is found in lower concentrations in toothpastes, shampoos, bubble baths & shaving foams.

It is used for its thickening effect and its ability to create a lather.


Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is one of the commonly used ingredients used in personal care products. Shampoos are frequently reported to the FDA; typical reports and complaints include split or fuzzy hair, swelling of the arms, face or hands, irritation of the scalp and irritation of the eyes.

SLS is a detergent and surfactant found in many personal care products & is an inexpensive and very effective foaming agent.

SLS is in most toothpastes & I was talking to a WWII veteran who told me to get out of exercises it wasn’t enough to pretend sickness you actually had to have vomiting & diahorrea so it was a well known trick to eat a tube of toothpaste because it produced those results!

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES) is also a concern as in some circumstances it can become contaminated with Dioxane during or after the manufacturing process. Dioxane is a suspected carcinogen and remains in our bodies primarily because the liver cannot metabolize it effectively. It is considered less of a skin irritant than SLS but there continue to be underlying concerns over its continued use in cosmetic products.

SLS & SES both mimic oestrogen as it travels through our bodies into the waterways & apart from damage to water living creatures it is also thought to be contributing to the rising levels of infertility in the western world.

You can access one of the Material Safety Data Sheets here

It states:

Eyes: Irritating to eyes.

Skin: Irritating to skin. Harmful in contact with skin.

Inhalation: Irritating to respiratory system. May be harmful if inhaled. May cause allergic respiratory reaction.

Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal tract irritation.

Chronic Effects: Repeated contact may cause allergic reactions in very susceptible persons


Unexpectedly in my research I found a link to Azithromycin a drug used for bacterial infections; a macrolide antibiotic made by Pfizer. It is used for treating such things as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Tonsillitis, Middle ear infections & more.  You can read the details here

Goodness knows what else it is concealed in then!

What do you think? Do let me know…



  1. How scary! Thanks for letting us know, Susie. Will be looking carefully at products now.

  2. Scary that it shows up in so many every day products.

  3. Robyn says:

    I’m beginning to question everything. So many hidden every-things! Ignorance is bliss, or so they say, but I’m not so sure that’s true…. thanks for sharing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *